About Catawba Valley Woodcarvers Club (CVWC)
CVWC Mission / Purpose
- The purpose of the CATAWBA VALLEY WOOD CARVERS CLUB is to promote an interest in wood carving for persons of all competence, whether they are beginners or advanced professionals;
- to provide information, education, and hands-on experience for all members;
- to encourage creativity and to explore new methods and techniques for advancing wood carving as a creative craft and as a unique art form;
- and to encourage membership in, and give support to the National Wood Carvers Association
Meetings are the 2nd Thursday of each month, at the Hickory store location of "The Klingspor's Woodworking Shop, located at 856 21st St Dr SE Hickory, or Sweetwater Road. The meetings start at 7 pm and usually last until 9 pm. After a short business session there is usually a program given by a member or a invited guest presenter. Members have the opportunity to bring projects they are working on or work on the "club project". Members are encouraged to bring finished items for "show and tell". Refreshments are brought by club members who volunteer each month.
- Annual dues are $24 (January renewal)
- Dues are $24 per calendar year, payable in January. If not paid by March you will be considered dropped from membership.
- Any person at least fourteen years old, interested in wood carving or whittling, whether amateur or professional, may become a member.
- New members pay a prorated amount ($2 a month) for each of the months remaining in the year.
Catawba Valley Wood Carvers Club Membership benefits include:
- Support a statewide network of carvers and clubs
- A 10% discount at Klingspor’s Woodworking Shop (excluding power tools, wood, and a few limited items)
- an opportunity for contact with other wood carvers
- opportunities to advance your wood carving skills
- educational programs and club activities
- opportunities to exhibit your work
- and the fellowship of fellow woodcarvers
Club Elections Are held in December, with elected officers taking office in January.